April 2024 update

I bought 10 x 22TB Seagate HDD. Last week I bit the bullet and removed all the 16TB HDD from the primary storage server and put the 22TB drives in. I am now plotting away trying to fill it up. The Bladebit CPU plotter seems to lock up my full-node so I have to check on it once a day.

The used 16TB drives are destined to go into a couple of QNAP TR004 units running in JBOD mode plugged into a Raspberry Pi5 running as a harvester. The TR004 can hold 4 drives. If this setup works out I will look at replacing the two Pi4 + external HDD's with Pi5 + TR004 units. I might have 3 of these as it seems a fairly inexpensive way of adding another harvester with 64TB of disk space.

Speaking of the 16TB drives, I returned a 2nd WD 16TB HDD and picked up a replacement under warranty for the previous drive that I returned. It had been sitting at the computer shop for almost 3 months before I drove there to pickup the replacement. Thats 2 out of 14 WD drives that have failed so far. The lack of reliability is one of the reasons I got Seagate drives this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22nd of June

More harvesting

That took a while