Storage server upgrade part 2

This is actually using a number of parts I already had and making a second storage server. Here is the parts list for this build. 

1 x Meshify 2 case (new)

1 x Seasonic 550w modular PSU

1 x Pair of extra drive trays (new)

1 x ASUS H370M motherboard

1 x Intel i3-8100 CPU

1 x Noctua NF-U9S CPU cooler

2 x 32GB DDR4-2666 ECC memory

1 x PCIe x1 SATA card (new)

1 x Intel X550 10GbE NIC

1 x 1TB Samsung M.2 SSD

7 x 8TB WD Red Pro drives

7 x SATA data cables

3 x SATA power cables

I already had the power supply, motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, memory, network card, M.2 SSD, hard disk drives and SATA cables. The i3-8100 only supports up to 64GB of memory. I had some issues with the memory speed and had to set it to 2400MHz.

I bought a number of PCIe x1 4 port SATA cards off eBay. The motherboard has 6 SATA ports built-in and there are a couple of PCIe x1 slots. Using one of the 4 port SATA cards will allow for up to 10 drives. I don't have enough drive trays though. The shop only had one set of drive trays (they are a 2 pack) so I will need another set if I want to expand. The 4 drives that were in the external enclosure were removed but they were too hot to handle so I had to wait a couple of hours for them to cool down. After installing the drives ZFS found the existing pool of 4 drives and was up and running in minutes.

My next issue was how to expand the ZFS pool to include all 7 drives. For that I had to copy the data to another server. That took half a day. I then deleted the pool, recreated it with all 7 drives and copied the plots back. It took 2 days to get the 24TB of plots back. I pointed the Chia node at the new server and it saw the plots and off it went. Now that I have some free disk space I have resumed plotting. Technically the pool of drives is 50TB, but one needs to leave around 10% free so I will fill it to 45TB.

I have one spare 8TB Toshiba drive that I might add as a spare to the disk pool. That way if one drive fails it can start rebuilding the pool immediately. The four 8TB drives that were in the external disk enclosure have Power On Hours around 13000 at the moment. Given they were so hot I don't expect they will last more than another year or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22nd of June

More harvesting

That took a while