Disaster strikes

No sync
I went away for a week and powered everything off. When I got back I powered everything back up and the full node was having problems syncing. I left it for a week but it wasn't progressing at all. I rebooted it and so on and gave it another week but it refused to sync. At that point I decided to upgrade to the latest version. It didn't accept my 24 word mnemonic so I had no choice and had to start a new wallet. I started a new wallet but it refused to accept my existing plots as the keys didn't match, so I had to delete all of them. Kiss goodbye to the 22 XCH that I had.

ZFS errors
I have now started plotting and I am close to 200 or so plots. I was having some issues reported by my main storage server with ZFS indicating CRC and write errors. SMART stats didn't indicate the 16TB drives thought they had issues.

I suspect the SAS controller was overheating as it was very hot to touch. While it has a heatsink on the card there is no fan. I disconnected a couple of HDD from the SAS controller and plugged them into the motherboard SATA ports instead. I added a fan inside the case to blow air towards the SAS controller and 10GbE network card. In the mean time I have been writing the plots to the other storage server which has 8TB drives.

Compressed plots
In other news the Giga-Horse plotter has been able to create compressed plots. The official CHIA developers have acknowledged this and have said they will be adding official support for compressed plots in a future release.

There is a price to pay for having smaller plot files and that is the CPU overhead of making up for the missing data. The higher the compression level more CPU is needed. They have said that a Raspberry Pi harvester can handle compression level 1 (the lowest) but higher levels cause it issues. Space savings were estimated at 15% with the lowest compression level.

Harvesters
In other news I thought I would try setting the storage server I am currently trying to fill up (the one with 7 x 8TB drives) as a harvester. That is installing the CHIA software on it in harvester mode. That actually worked and had less network traffic as a result, when compared to just having the storage server as an NFS drives that the full-node can access.

One issue I noticed was the full-node would show as a Local harvester with the same number of plots as the remote harvester, that is they appear to be duplicated but it wasn't complaining about duplicated plots.

Hardware updates
I noticed the full-node would use all available memory when plotting, including all the swap. I updated the memory to its maximum (128GB) and it still did this. At one point it had 110GB as file cache and swap was fully used. I am now plotting with swap turned off. Under Linux you can turn swap on or off with the swapon (which is the default state) or the swapoff command.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22nd of June

More harvesting

That took a while